What is success? Does Success have any universal definition? How would you succeed?
We have been hearing since generations that that nothing succeeds like success. In other words, it says that the accomplishment of a given task is the only way to be successful
Let’s simplify it further by defining it in many ways
Success is the state or condition of meeting a defined range of expectations. Success is the accomplishment of a set target.
Success is achieving some level of perceived social status.
Success is defining in excelling a given task
Success is taking the first step towards releasing your dream. It could be anything from achieving wealth, fame, status, spirituality so on and so forth. Success is a standard against which we measure our performance. It would indicate us to reorganise our efforts and plan it accordingly to reach the goal. The same standard would refine the direction we take and make the corrective actions needed to make our goal accomplished.
There are three aspects of success to be considered to measure the performance.
- To do Good
- To be Good
- To feel Good
It is really very important to have all three aspects measured.
A woodcutter was working on a farm. A social researcher said, “you work for me, I will offer you twice the salary.” He agreed and he came over. “What do I need to do? The researcher said,” Here is the axe. You go and start hitting the tree. The only thing is that you need to hit the round side of the head, and not the sharp side. “The woodcutter replied,” I would never be able to cut the tree by hitting it from the round side. “The researcher said, how does that matter? I am giving you double your salary.” The woodcutter said alright and he started cutting the tree. After three days of efforts, He came back and said,” Here is your axe. I’m not interested in working with you.” The researcher said,” I am giving you double the salary, then what is the problem?” The woodcutter said,” I need to see the chips flying off. I need to see my work is making any difference”. That is the common urge in all of us. We all work for ten hours for companies. We need to see if it is making any difference. If it is, then only you are moving in the right direction. Now you can take the second step towards the goal.
In other words, you have to be the best you can in every step. For that, you need to install the noble qualities and virtues to be good.
Once you are good, you would feel satisfied within your own self that my efforts are yielding the result. Being Good is important for receiving the counter help
The third thing is to feel good. There was once a person who has listed all the things he perceived was necessary to have the success. He listed down the things as a great house, a luxury car, hefty salary, Beautiful wife etc. He decided to show the list to one wise person of his locality. The wise man said, “The list is pretty okay, but there is one thing which is missing in your list. The other person asked, “What is that thing?” Peace of mind came the prompt reply” he further asked the young man, “what would you do with all the money, luxurious things if you are not having a piece of mind.” To feel happy at the end of the day within should be your priority.
Now the moot question is how playing the second fiddle of a successful person would make you successful?
The answer lies in the counter-question. How many people know who the second person is who has walked on the moon? Who was the second person who has reached the summit of Mount Everest? Very few would know the answer? The reason being that it is the human tendency to respect and hail the original than the copy!
Here are the qualities, which are necessary for becoming successful.
1. Be Original: In the rate race of being one among the masses, people tend to use the short cut of copy-paste. If ever we need to copy anything from any successful person, we need to copy the persistence, the hard work which has taken them to become that much successful. To be successful and yet original, you need to be trustworthy. Trustworthy people are true to their word. If they say something, they mean it. They walk the talk. In other words, they take ownership. If they fail, they do not blame the circumstances, they take full responsibility and work again to make that happen. No matter how many you fail you are bound to work for it without losing the passion and keep on continuing until the goal is reached. So if you need to be that original and successful. Say what you mean and do what you say.
2. Time Management: Successful people are in love with time. They give utmost importance to the people and the work they love. Successful people do the time audit. They set the time limit to each task. Plan things well and organize the efforts in a direction to make things happen within time.
3. Doing things routinely: Successful people fight constantly against a monster which devours everything: routine. Practice makes the man perfect. Success is a proud, temperamental mistress. Give her the time and attention she deserves, and she is yours. Slight her and there will come a day when you call and she will not answer. Successful people do the same thing repeatedly, till it becomes their natural routine. Does anyone remind us to brush our teeth in the morning, going to the loo or having our breakfast; it comes naturally as we all have the natural routine. What needs to be added in the morning to change my normal routine to an extraordinary routine is to make my brain healthier by doing the regular physical and mental exercise will make it happen.
4. Add value in somebody’s life. That can only happen if you kill your ego. Ego is when you think you are better than others but in reality, you are not. When you kill the instinct of being superior to others despite you being superior will stop you doing something untoward and instead focus on doing concrete and positive things without any strings attached to it.
5. Hunger: Hunger is the greatest asset of a successful individual. No matter how talented you are, if you do not have hunger succeed. “Success comes to those that wake up hungry every day that I will not settle for less. “
Surround yourself with people who make you hungry for life, touch your heart, and nourish your soul.
6. Raise your standards: You raise your standards by changing what I should into what I must have.-translating a wish into action.
7. Decide to be happy: you can only be happy if you decide to be happy. Some people have lost everything in life; there are people who have lost their hands; there are people who have lost their jobs; they are happy. The reason they are happy that they have decided to be happy. They have decided not to lose hope.
8. Know your strengths: Know that one strength you have, identify it, nourish it by giving it the healthy food and master that one thing.
Learn from the failures: Learn from the failures of the successful men and their successes. It has many failures to make them. Know the ways of failures and stop yourself walking on it. Moreover, earn from your own failures.
9. Have Gratitude: No one who achieves success does so without the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude. We are social human beings. We are entirely dependent on society. We need to serve them back with all the gratitude for all their help. Quoting Zag Zigler “Gratitude is the healthiest of all human emotions. The more you express gratitude for what you have, the more likely you will have even more to express gratitude for.”
10. Be confident: Self-confidence is important to both your physical health and your psychological well-being. When you believe in yourself you’re more likely to try new things, devote your time and energy to tasks that matter, make good lifestyle choices, and foster healthy relationships. Confidence is not ‘they will like me’. Confidence is ‘I’ll be fine if they don’t’. When you develop the tendency to work without attaching any strings, you are bound to succeed.